Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Waldorf in the Home :: Meal Planning

Weekly Rhythm :: The Meal Plan
9 February 2015
If you are a Waldorf parent, it’s likely that you’ve heard of the importance of rhythm, either at a parent evening at school or in the world of Waldorf online. 

If you are new to rhythm, or it still feels a little mysterious to you, you can read more about different aspects of rhythm in the home here.

Rhythm is an approach to organizing our lives that includes familiar routines as well as a sensitivity to the energetic rhythms of our bodies, the seasons and of our own season in the rhythm of life.

One of my favorite aspects of rhythm is weekly meal planning. I love to cook and garden and could easily spend the whole day working on our meals, if I did not have anything else to do. 

But alas, I have lots of other things to do, homeschooling my sixth grader and working on the living curriculum program I offer as well as homemaking, caring for animals, gardening, handwork, getting us all outside everyday, volunteering, well you know, the days are quite full with children.

That’s where the weekly meal plan helps me. Over the years I’ve had a fall back weekly rhythm for my meal planning and it is so helpful for the times when the thought of what to make for dinner just puts me on overload. And I love to cook.

My Weekly Rhythm Meal Plan

Mondays I make beans and rice and turn them into chili, burritos, enchiladas, tacos or nachos. Leftover beans may turn used with heuvos rancheros for breakfast or bean dip with afternoon tea.

Tuesday, I lean on Thai dishes, something I learned to make when we lived in the equatorial Pacific, or Stir Fry. In the summertime, for one of our favorite Thai dishes, I grow long beans, Thai basil and round white eggplant. Other wise with stir fry, I chop whatever vegetables I have and stir fry them with lots of ginger and garlic. I’ll add nuts and herbs if I have them.

Wednesday is pasta day in our kitchen. In the winter I like to bake pasta, with lasagna, baked ziti or my version of the classic macaroni and cheese. Pasta is the only analog food my gluten free child eats. 

Thursday is my challenge. I tend to lean on leftovers or the slow cooker on Thursday. On Thursdays I want comfort food, foods like chicken pot pie, shepherd's pie or a casserole. It can be tricky to prepare them though. That's where the slow cooker, leftovers, lasagna or a dish from the freezer comes in handy.

Friday is our Pizza and family movie night. (My children are 12 and over) I go through phases of making my own alternating with take out. I slip in some winter greens, like arugula with hopes of vegetable-izing the meal.

Saturday might be leftovers or casserole. I grew up with beans and franks and brown bread on Saturdays. I have tried making my own brown bread. 

How to Meal Plan
1. Begin with what your family likes to eat and what you like to cook
2. Look in your pantry, cupboards, freezer
3. Consider the rhythm of your week. Plan something easy on days when you or family members are out for the afternoon or have evening plans. Leftovers, the slow cooker or breakfast for dinner can save the day. 
4. Sketch it out

Once meal planning becomes a habit, you will be able to walk through it in your mind at the store and gather what you need pretty easily.

For children, familiar meals and specific nights, like “Pasta Night” or “Pizza Night” become something they can anticipate with comfort and joy.

Happy Planning and Eating!

if you meal plan and have a link to your meal plan for this week, 
please share the link to it in the comments below

:: 

If you’d like to join this month’s eCourse, registration is still open
 When Less is More :: Create Sacred Space


Celebrate the Rhythm of Life 
Harmonious Rhythms ::   Soulful Parenting with the 3C's :: Waldorf Homeschooling



6 comments:

  1. The rhythms are one of the things I like most about the Waldorf method. I could use some of these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan my meals two weeks at a time, and for 5 dinner meals I make double batches (so 10 meals total) and then I have 4 single meals to intersperse through the two weeks for variety. It cuts back on cooking time, and I always have food ready to send hubby with for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now getting started with implementing this type of meal planning at home. My main struggle right now is starting from scratch compiling a good list of recipes to pull from each week. Would you mind sharing/posting your favorite, go-to recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might roast a chicken on Sunday, use the caracas to make a stock on Monday and make a pot of soup on Tuesday. This is the recipe for the stock/broth: http://thewonderofchildhood.com/2011/06/chop-chop-choppity-chop/
      This is one of my go to recipes for soup: http://thewonderofchildhood.com/2011/06/soup-
      day/
      I started a blog called Scrumptious Smidgeon with some of my favorite go to meal foods, like quiche, roasted vegetables, pasta with peas and ham, chicken pot pie, it's here: http://thewonderofchildhood.com/2011/06/soup-day/

      Delete
  4. I love this!I have a similar plan. What I do is I have 4 weeks of meal plans for each season, and will rotate each for 3 rotations. Sometimes I switch it up because of celebrations or maybe I am not crazy about a certain recipe. But it helps me cook seasonally with fruits and veggies. I was inspired by your post to do this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, do say hello when you stop by and leave a link to what is happening with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...