Sunday, April 18, 2010

Monday Dinner

Monday's dinner theme is Mexican at my house.
That means beans and brown rice as the foundation for quesadillas, burritos, tacos, chili, nachos... Along side it some sort of seasonal vegetable. One of our ahem, picky eaters does not like the texture of vegetables mixed in with the beans.

This week I am inspired by Becca at Artistmama to make her crock pot beans which I'll soak tonight along side the rice which I soak then cook the beans in the slow cooker tomorrow after I add the garlic, cumin, basil, oregano and cayenne. Later I'll look in the freezer to see if I have some meat to add for my carnivorous child. I am thinking about making it into burritos with my own salsa, local cheddar, cilantro, sour cream and avocado. Monday is also our tropical day with fresh avocado, mango and pineapple, not local at all. I believe most tropical fruits are sustainable, does anyone know? Probably not ethical with the fuel needed to bring them here...hmmm...something to chew on.

Fresh Salsa Recipe
Ingredients:

  • Garlic, 6-8 cloves
  • 2 medium onions
  • Bunch of cilantro, good sized
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Splash of apple cider vinegar
  • Cumin ~ ground, to taste
  • Lime juice of one juicy lime, roll it before squeezing to get the juices flowing
  • Tomatoes, 6 or 8 good sized ones fresh or large can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
Directions:
  • Put it all in the food processor, or chop by hand
  • Whir it up
  • Taste, add more of what you like, salt, lime, vinegar, if needed
  • Enjoy!

Children as helpers.
The children peel the garlic and mince it and chop the onion into chunks that fit the food processor.  They wash and spin dry the cilantro, open the tomatoes and measure the vinegar. When measurement needs to be precise, I stay close or  measure first into a cup or bowl in case of over fill, that way it can be adjusted before it goes into the meal.

~ re-posted from my Scrumptious Smidgeon blog

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my blog! I hope you love the beans as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa,
    I've just discovered your blog it's beautiful :)
    I look forward to reading more
    Love & light
    Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, the crockpot beans were delicious and so simple, no maintenance. The texture was really good, firm not frayed. I made burritos with them. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE salsa around here and are always looking for new recipes...we'll certainly try this!

    Feel free to link up today if you have anything for the kinderGARDENS contest, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim, oh I am so glad, let me know how it goes over, add peppers if you like heat, chipotles for smokey add and you probably know ll this!

    I am trying to figure out the Let 'em get dirty button the print keeps posting with the image the html print that is..?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you put mango in your salsa? Great blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so glad the beans turned out well! They are our staple. I think I'll go & soak some for tomorrow.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shauna~ do you have a recipe? Sure sounds tasty, we love to eat mangos. We had mango trees in our yard when we lived in the South Pacific on remote tropical islands. Doesn't that sound romatic? I miss it. The children used to climb the very tall trees to pick the mangos and toss them down to their friends who put the in quickly woven palm baskets shaped like canoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You might want to just try and add it as an extra ingredient in your salsa just the way it is, I really don't use a special recipe, but there are some online if you would like something like that. Here is one I got just from a quick search:

    Mango Salsa Recipe
    Ingredients
    1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
    1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
    1 JalapeƱo chile, minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste if desired)
    1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
    3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

    Also good with diced red bell pepper and jicama.

    Method
    Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being a little too hot or acidic for your taste, you can temper it by adding some diced avocado

    Seriously, I think mango is an undiscovered secret in salsa ;) The recipe also includes cucumber..who knew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shauna, thank you, this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, do say hello when you stop by and leave a link to what is happening with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...