Friday, December 18, 2015

Simple, Slow and Meaningful

We’re in slow motion this year, still lingering in the mood of sweet slowness that follows Thanksgiving. We’re stuffed with roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, spicy chickpeas, cranberries and all the goodness of the Thanksgiving table.
 It’s warm inside and wet, cold and gray out of doors. I'm waiting for the snow.

We’ve unplugged from the busyness of the world, partly by choice, partly by force. My son was in an accident just before Thanksgiving and got quite bashed up. He is now on the mend, thanks to what must have been divine intervention, as well a very skilled surgeon, and a wonderfully kind hospital crew, for whom I feel enormously grateful.

With surgery and broken bones, there's lots of down time for convalescing. We canceled our travel plans and stayed put. It has been sweet.

As we move along in the season of Advent, I ask myself what matters most to me? The people I care about. My family and friends. My work. Cultivating community. Ample time. Being fully present in the moment.

How do I live these values as we approach the busy holiday time of year, with so many events and activities  beckoning us to join?

I begin with a checking in on our family home rhythms. The pulse of our daily life can tell us a good deal about what’s going on.

Next I look around and begin right where I am. In the days of slow and simple. Right here. Right now. And I savor it.

4 comments:

  1. We have slowed down a lot this year and not done nearly as much as in past years. This, though, is due to grieving the death of my mom in August. It seems like so much effort to go through all the effort of decorating and doing the holiday festivities. We've severely cut back - perhaps a bit too much. Next year we'll look at having a more balanced holiday season. There's merit in slowing down and focusing on loved ones. That's what's carried us through this season as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ann, I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. That sounds huge. Sending love.

    And those peanut butter blossoms on your blog sure look good

    xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow and family-oriented is our plan too for this season (and for our life in general as much as possible). I'm glad that your son is doing better!

    Ann, I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I am so glad your son is okay and on the mend!
    Ann, I am deeply sorry for your loss.
    Peace, light, and slowness to you all.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, do say hello when you stop by and leave a link to what is happening with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...