Thursday, December 23, 2010

Quieting and Excitement

It's been a week of quieting and excitement. It began on Sunday with a wrapping up of four weeks of Inner Advent work with Lynn Jericho's group. We've been looking at truth, beauty and goodness in our thinking, feeling and willing and laying it out on a mandala for the year. So much swirling in the mysterious in this past year and so much constellating for the new year. I love doing this work. This year's Inner Advent work was better than last for the group work deepens with time.

Monday we went to the Advent Spiral at the school. It was so beautiful. When I watch my children walk, I always feel tears well in my eyes, every time over the years. It was outdoors, in the dark of night, in the cold, dark of night yet warmth permeated from within. One of the songs that we sang is Now I Walk in Beauty which has been with me all week. Click here to hear it.

The next day was the last day here for a dear little fellow who has been in my program for three years, nearly since he was born, and is now moving on to be with the big kids. I've watched him grow and shared in the joys each new development brings with his lovely and loving family. He's been the little brother to my children. I'm going to miss him. Alot. And his mom and dad.

Now, on vacation, yet working on my new project. Moving towards Christmas. I cannot find the book Mary's Little Donkey this year and we are missing it hugely. We'll  cut down our tree today and let it rest overnight before we start decorating it tomorrow. Tomorrow evening we'll go to a service.

I keep worrying about Christmas morning, have I done enough?  How do we make the Twelve Days of Christmas the focus rather then Christmas morning? What about the anticipation? Santa is pretty regular here,  in what he brings, striped jammies from the elves, matching ones for the children, slippers if needed, a book and a game or toy. He fills the stockings with little treats, a new toothbrush. I make something for each child for Christmas Day. Yet there is so much energy rising, especially for my little one.

We've been singing Christmas songs, our favorites this year seem to be Good King Wenceslas, People Look East, Children Go Where I Send Thee, here for a humorous recording of it, The Old Man in the Woods. We're learning The Boar's Head Carol, all from Mary Thienes~Schnumann's The Christmas Star, here. Her books have really helped me over the years to sing more and especially now when I am at home and not in a school community on a daily basis to sing with others.

We'll be moving on to more songs about the Three Kings and Epiphany. I'm working on a Babouschka Circle this year for she is beloved by our family ever since my children were given the Tomie de Paolo books.

This week we baked gingerbread men. We'll be baking for others for Christmas week and we have a knitting and sewing gift project going on. My second grader is making potholders for gifts this year. I'd love to host a cookie exchange if I can pull it together. And I'd love to go caroling.

I am looking forward to another year of The Inner Christmas with Lynn Jericho. Lynn sends out an e-mail message each day with an inspiration to contemplate each night. I need to dig out my Inner Christmas Guide. I think it's with Mary's Little Donkey. I put it in a red binder last year with Christmas things.

This Inner Christmas is Lynn's gift to the world. It's free. The guide too. Click here to sign up and enjoy. I find that work with Lynn is so satisfying in such a gentle way. It helps me expand my view of things and helps me digest events of my life in a very nourishing way. It also inspires me to do new things and take risks. I am so grateful for this gift. Thanks Lynn!

A Very Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate!

Lisa

10 comments:

  1. My preschool class loves "Children Go Where I Send Thee"! A friend shared that youtube video with me last Christmas- so sweet!!!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a joy visiting you, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, my friend! May many blessings fall gently upon you and your lovely family! Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going inward during the holy days is so important, and something that can be hard to do with the rush of everything around us. Merry Christmas to you and may the days following be peaceful....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a beautiful Christmas, it was lovely reading your post. All Marie's song books are in our home, even the spanish one, it to has helped me sing more with the children, they love it. Tomie's books are also a favorite in our home. Thank you for the link for Inner Christmas, I joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas! really enjoying your blog lately, good stuff. Thanks for Inner Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are all having a Merry Christmas! Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your Christmas was joyous. Enjoyed reading about all your preparations: all the wonderful projects and songs. Lovely site.
    Hope your new year ahead holds many more blessings.
    Debra
    http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stpping by and the kind words, Debra. I'm going to come have a visit at your site.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, do say hello when you stop by and leave a link to what is happening with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...